Monday, May 3, 2010

One Book, One Twitter

It was a Spring weekend, the sun was out, the birds were singing, the urge to clean and renovate was entirely too strong to ignore. There was an impromptu out of town shopping trip that yielded $5 bookshelves, free comic book day and yard work. It was also one of those times Murphy warned you about when not one but several items were sold from my etsy store and all of them are custom meaning of course that my work is already laid out before my for the week...yes, the whole week.

So instead of talking about tatting I shall use this moment to tell you about One Book, One Twitter. You can read all about the origins of this social undertaking here on Wired. Basically it is a twitter wide book club...now I'm not usually one for book clubs for so many reasons, but when I caught wind of the event all the books in the running were ones I would actually read or re-read. So I followed @b1t2010 and started actually using the hash tag #1b1t to recruit a few people in my corner of twitter to join in. Now the book has been chosen, American Gods by Neil Gaiman which I will quite enjoy re-reading and the start date is set as 5-5-10.

So what I'm trying to say here is if you use the twitter and are fond of reading books like Gaiman's, join in. I'm not certain what sort of discourse will arise and as I haven't discussed a book with other people that wasn't found in a comic book store or the children's department in ages I'm not sure how much talking about it I'll do. It will be interesting to see how many people finally do join in and see what else this social media is good for.

As you can see from the articles I linked to, they are still hashing out all the details. It seems like it should be rather laid back and trust me the book is a fascinatingly quick read despite the sheer size. I find Gaiman's ability to weave a realistic world out of myth, reality and pure fiction to be utterly breathtaking. So that's my take on it and I'm off to tat my fingers off on these custom orders and I will start reading on Wednesday...hopefully.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

American Gods is an awesome book. Anansi Boys is another good one in the same vein as AG. With author Terry Pratchett, they wrote a book named 'Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch'. Absolutely hilarious! I laughed myself into a headache with that one. You should check it out.