Friday, June 17, 2011

New Tatting Video

In lieu of chatting today, I'll just show you what I did yesterday. Well, I'll chat about it a bit first I suppose. This isn't my best video by a long shot, but after being hounding by many folks I thought I'd do up a quick demo on two color needle tatting. This is of course just one method and there are several and I should have gone into the differences between tatting off the ball and with the cut thread, but I didn't really plan it out in advance, so this is what you get. I suppose I might go back and do it again better, but it really does take forever to make these videos. Oh and don't anyone go thinking it was their fault for pestering me into doing this. There were literally dozens of requests over the last few months and after I make a quick video of the swallows visiting my house, I guess I was in the mood to give it a go.

I hope this is at least a little helpful. If you're looking for a quick written explanation on two color needle tatting, I'd suggest Barbara Foster's book Learn Needle Tatting Step by Step because that's where I started. I do think the next video will be on tatting with cut thread by working up a one shuttle pattern. I just need to decide on a quick one, maybe just a string of rings.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so amazing watching you tat with a needle (I do it with a shuttle). Every time i watch one of your videos I think I should try it. (Also, the pico'/picot comment made me smile :)

Stephanie Grace said...

Number one: I had to laugh over the picot comment.

Number two: You have NO IDEA how funny it is to me that you posted this today... Another tatter told me when I was really first starting to tat about this method and it's the way that I've been tatting ever since. I shared your pendant video on Facebook, watched it, and worried that maybe I'd forgotten how to work off the ball. So, I went crazy doing it. It kept nagging at me, though, that you had two-color pieces and I couldn't figure out if it was the same method or HOW in the world you were doing it.... THANK YOu!! Got my answer. :-) More so than that: Thank you for the hiding ends bit! I tend to tat a bit too tight, but I always think of using a sewing needle for hiding the ends, not pushing the needle in and THEN threading and pulling through (The result: LOTS of wasted thread to compensate for threading the tatting needle or other needle to hid the end.).

So, now what's your take on tatting over tails? AND, have you ever tried using floss threaders for hiding ends? Someone posted a picture last week [?] so I've been toying with that...

Yeah, yeah, over a year in and I still feel like it's only been a week. There are so many different methods that I think it really is just a matter of what the tatter is comfortable with, but how do you know what you're most comfortable with until you try everything... Right? *blushes, giggles, hides* ;-)

-Stephanie Grace

Diane Mason said...

Thanks so much for posting this video, it makes it so much easier to understand when you can watch someone actually doing it versus just reading how to do it. Your videos have been so helpful to me, without them I may never have learned how to needle tat. Your work is awesome and so creative. Thanks again.

goudenregen said...

Thanks for making another video. I'll have a good look this weekend.

TotusMel said...

Thanks all!
@Stephanie, I might have tatted over tails once, but honestly it was too much bother when I can just hide them later. I also haven't needed to use a threader to hide them, but that sounds like a great way if your tension is tight.

Sherry said...

Your videos are AMAZINGLY helpful!! And thanks for including the hiding of tales--oops, tails lol! I'm sure it'll save someone from having to look up a SECOND video or instructions on that!

louine said...

Great video.....we were just in the mountains and my daughter and I were needle tatting....she asked about two color tatting and I had referred her to the Foster book but was glad to see the video when I was catching up on your bog. (no interent at our farm in the mountains.) Thank you, thank you, thank you.