Thursday, January 19, 2012

Well That Worked

Oh, I was a listless soul yesterday. I somehow managed to avoid doing anything of substance at all. I sat down and made a list of all the pieces that I have yet to remake for the shop. What did I do with the list? Nothing. I got a blog comment about making a rope chain using the same basic technique as my last piece. I thought, interesting idea, let me look up how to do that. While I managed to learn the chainmaille technique involved, I only made it to two rings before I flitted off to do some more nothing.

In fact the only thing of interest that I accomplished yesterday was to finally undergo the first fabric stiffening experiment. I grabbed a piece of lace from my scrap box. Don't ask how full that thing is...it's crazy, and I plastered it with this fa-brick stuff. I just wrapped it around the top of a wine bottle to get a sense of it's shaping capabilities and waited. I didn't have to wait too long though, it dried incredibly fast and pretty darn hard. I have to say I'm impressed.

It did leave some bits that would need to be picked off and there is definitely some discoloration on this particular thread. Though to be honest it was made with some low quality stuff. I think I might give it some black today since that's what I'm likely to make any final sculpture with. If it passes that test I guess I have no more excuses and I'll have to get to designing my first tatted sculpture. I don't even know what I want to start with, probably something simple at first.

So today, I hope to stop lollygagging around and get back to some semblance of work. I'll do that stiffening experiment and I promise that I will remake something on that damn list I made. Then I might get to thinking about this sculpture nonsense. Alright, off to it then and you all  have a lovely day.

1 comment:

Paige said...

The first thing that comes to my mind looking at and thinking about the stiffened tatting was a cuff bracelet (the kind with a slim opening that you slip on sideways). Second was a lace mask on a stick. I'm sure whatever you do will be awesome.