Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Asymmetrical

I was right about not having nay extra time to worry about until well after lunch. The morning was jam packed with schooling and the teacher meeting. After lunch the kids both read and I lamented my now idle hands. The shop remained quiet, so I had to come up with something to make all by myself and I was not feeling very adventurous, so I settled on an old idea, the one off piece.

There is a lot of extra work involved in making any piece meant to be one of a kind, but it's the perfect remedy when I don't want to design something. Generally I just make it up as I go without a thought for stitch counts or joins. This makes up for all the one use only photography and writing up a listing that, again, is only used once. I opted to make one of my asymmetrical necklaces worked around metal rings. First I lay out the rings to get a generally idea of the shape I want, then I just start tatting.

The hardest part with this on in particular is getting the right number of stitches on the ring so that it's well covered and I have a number of picots that match with the petals I want to work. Often this means squeezing the stitches together tightly at the end to work in just one more repeat. It's also a bit of a challenge to make the outer petals different on rings of the same size. I suppose it's just a lot fiddling and hoping it all works out in the end.

I did finish the tatting on this one, but I still need to add the chains to the sides before I can press it and get it listed. That shouldn't take too long after schooling unless I start stalling again. Here's hoping for something new to keep me focused for today. If nothing comes, I'll probably just bust out the grab bag supplies and make more one of a kind pieces, so at least there's that.

4 comments:

Dnadryad said...

Hi,
I'm new at tatting, only two weeks or so, and I just found your blog and your work today... WAOW !
First : thank you for sharing all those clean and effective tutorials, and thank you also for inspiration... the whole atmosphere on your webspace is just great !
As for this precise one : is there somewhere a tuto for needle tatting on a ring ?... couldn't find it, but maybe you just didn't make one, hu hu.
Anyway, have a bright day !

TotusMel said...

@Dnardryad Thanks so much! I do not have a tutorial on covering a ring, but there is a step-by-step here: http://tatsaway.blogspot.com/2009/09/wrap-stitch-round-plastic-ring-with.html

That is not exactly how I do it, but it works just as well.
-Pamela

Dnadryad said...

Thank you Pamela, I'm gonna check tous link !

gabby said...

I love the fact that you also spend the time and effort with wrapping metal rings. There are so many different things to do with them. love to see more of your creations