Friday, September 18, 2015

Medallions

Schooling ran long yesterday, though really the days preceding it were just unusually short. The point is I didn't get round to making anything until a couple of hours after lunch. I started with a medallion from the book and after about the point in this photograph, I put it aside. It because very clear that should I continue, it was going to be far too large to be useful as a wearable. I had also made a a few adjustments in the pattern to allow for the thicker thread, but they turned out to not be enough compensation at all.

I didn't want to abandon the medallion idea altogether, so I grabbed some thin linen thread and made it up as I went. This is what I came up with, though when I try again, I'll need to do something other than those long bare threads, at least on the outside as I can't imagine that wearing well. I did also determine that aside from a few thicker spots in the linen, it really likes the Armenian lace. The knots stay quite well and it doesn't get strained as much as it does being pulled through stitches in needle tatting.

So I guess today I'll play with more small medallion ideas until I come up with something I can turn into a pendant or earrings. Maybe even join some together to form a bracelet. In that case, the outer edge of this one is right out, but I'm sure I can come up with something before the weekend is out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

is it at all possible to turn the larger one into a fascinator?