Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Yes, and No

I think I spent most of the day working on the newest Armenian lace choker design. It's another pattern idea culled from the creation of the doily. Of course as with seemingly everything else I do, I mucked with it until it was the way I liked it. I wanted to create enough repeats of the diamond shapes to give it a nice woven feel, I guess.

The big question came as I was nearing what I knew needed to be the end. I could decide if I should keep it straight across or take the diamond points down. I almost didn't do the point as I had to start new thread at each point. I generally dislike anything I can't do all the way across in one pass, but I figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So here's the final piece prior to any pressing. While I like the way it turned out, I'm fairly certain that this is not the design to use the silk thread on. The larger thread spaces are a bit slide-y even with the cotton. I can imagine in the silk, it just wouldn't stay put anywhere. I'll still get this one put in the shop at some point, maybe even today, but I still have to figure out the best use of the silk. Right now, I'm thinking to just go with the pine cone pattern because I like making it, but I've already got two of those in the shop and I'm not sure making one in silk is going to make a huge difference in how it's viewed. Maybe it's onto another prototype experiment. I'm sure I can come up with yet another design...well, I hope I can.

1 comment:

Fox said...

Love this!

I managed to figure out another stitch today... For such a simple knotting lace, this Armenian Lace experiment is sure not an easy learning experience! : ))